4.26.2011

::new home:: day one - saturday

So you know that on Saturday morning, we pretty much RAN over to the house to see what we could start working on. We've tried to be semi-methodical about thinking this house out, so that we can actually finish a room completement before starting projects everywhere else. We learned this in our current house by sleeping night after night in a bed coated in drywall dust with peeled caulk stuck to our faces. Mistake not to be repeated.

So anyway. When we had our inspection, I made a list of "big expense items" that we needed to be prepared for if we purchased this home. Of course, we talked about them, Chad told me what he thought the cost would be, I mentally upped it by 300% and 27 man hours, and we made our decision. Well, one of these "little projects" was the flooring in the front bedroom. This house was built in 1935 and has some old floors. And in this bedroom, they're sinking. There were probably gaps of about an inch around two walls in the room. The Inspector looked, said not too big a deal, probably just settling, just raise it up. {{If you're me, you're thinking, "uh, just RAISE the floors? yeah, right! i'm not here to BUILD a house, just, you know, make it a little better." Anyway, he and Chad start talking about cinder blocks and jacking up the floors and crawling through the crawlspace, and cutting holes in floors, etc.


So Saturday morning, Chad jumps in the crawl space. And crawls. From the rear of the house to the front of the house. He crawled so far I could barely see his little headlamp shining. And he came to the conclusion that he couldn't make it. There just wasn't enough room to get in there and be able to work. I'm thinking, "I knew it - I knew this wouldn't be so easy. I knew I was right to mentally prepare myself for hundreds and hundreds of dollars to call in a contractor." Not so fast, Missy. Chad asks if I'm okay cutting into the floors. (Which are painted green, by the way.) Sure, why not?

So we ran back to our current house, grab some tools, run to the Lowe's, spend 45 bucks, and head back. And Chad cuts a hole in the floor. And crawls in, and finds... termite damage.


And my world comes crashing down around me. Chad tells me it's not bad, but I'm imagining that we now have to remove ALL of the flooring, floor boards, and floor joists. And the $$$ are racking up. I beg Chad to call our Inspector and see if there's any chance he'll come look at it and tell us how bad it is, and what we need to do because I don't want to just cover it up if we'll be falling through the floors in 6 months. And DJ, our home inspector, says he'll come over that afternoon. (I LOVE our home inspector). So Chad keeps working. He gets back in that crawl space and uses a car jack to lift the floor joists. Then he slides the big deck cinder blocks in with a 4x4 and removes the jack. He does this four times. And lo and behold, our floor is lifted, for less than $45. So that is amazing.


And then DJ comes by. And he probes around and teaches us a little about termites. He tells me to calm down and that we don't have to replace our entire house. He tells us what to do, and how to check for them, and how to get rid of them, and how often to test. He tells me to calm down again, and tells me how cute our house is, and then he leaves.

And I feel sooooo much better. We're still having a termite guy come out on Friday morning, but having DJ check things out really, really put my mind at ease. (Note: It's not that I don't trust Chad - I've learned enough times that when it comes to house stuff, I should trust him. But admittedly, he's doesn't really know a lot about termites. When I asked him what he was basing his opinions on, he said, "Nothing?").

So. We still have a hole in the floor so the termite guy has easy access.
We now have a floor that is where it should be in comparison the baseboards.
We have a termite guy coming on Friday.
And I feel good again.

And every time we go over there, we fall just a little bit more in love with that house!

ps. Are you wondering what I did all day besides chew my nails and pull out my hair? Well, I narrowed down paint swatches, cleaned walls and ceilings, pulled out about a hundred nails, patched nail holes, and cleaned up behind Chad. I didn't have my most productive day. But in my defense, Chad asked me to stay in the room so I could watch the floor raising and lowering. And raising and lowering. And raising and lowering.

ALSO. (Longest post ever). We had visitors to our new house! Kim ran over, Jordan and Amanda stopped by, our new neighbors that we already know, the Jones' came by, and new neighbors that we didn't know, Pam & Husband came by. It's so friendly and neighborhoody over there. I just love it!

6 comments:

blackstarmonkey said...

i like dj too then.

and you make me laugh, like HARD

i can't wait to see your new house!!

Anonymous said...

V. here...This is indeed a scary fixer upper house story, So glad it ended so good . And I am impressed C. did so much repair for only 45$. Excellent story indeed. So sorry to just now hear some of the perils of the first house remodel (sleeping with drywall dust on the bed and stuck to your face! yuck!)
When is the open house and h'oeuvres?

Chad said...

$45 dollars...I think I deserve a new tool with the $100s she thought I would use.

The Ringer Family said...

wee-hoo!! I really hope we can come down soon and see it...say this summer???

Lindsey said...

I was nervous and sweating it just reading the post. I'd be the same way you were, Alison. That stuff makes me nervous. But, glad to hear it's not as bad as originally thought. Can't wait to see what you do to the house. It will look amazing!

my rebel took over said...

You can tell Chad that I'm impressed by his floor raising and lowering.

 
Clicky Web Analytics