10.23.2010

::home:: the halloween version

For some reason, this year I did a little decorating for Halloween. Usually, if we're lucky, we do jack - o - lanterns, and that's it. Halloween isn't really my thing, but after I cut out my bats last week, I was in the spirit, so Tuesday I went out and bought a cartload of punkins, got my spray paint on, and it just went from there. The most simple thing I did? Pull out our fall wreath, which usually goes on the front door, and hang it on the mirror. In addition to the geometric shapes you can see, there's a circle shape in the mirror that's just about the perfect size for our wreath, so it was kind of a no-brainer (tho the wreath was a little off-kilter when I took my pics). I see many seasonal wreaths in this mirror's future.

The spray painting came into play in a big way this year:
I got some metallic paints at Wal-Mart (just the Krylon brand) in the silver and gold, shiny and
satin finishes. I can't believe how crazy reflective the gold is! Sadly, blogger is refusing to upload
that picture rightside up, so maybe another time. Imagine a boatload of large pumpkins, in different sheens and colors that booted the piggies out of the way.
___________
I didn't paint my favorite pumpkin originally and had planned to keep him orange and in his natural beauty. AND then I decided not to. I've seen tutorials (I'm talking to you, Martha) for glitter pumpkins that talk about powder glitter in colors with pretty names and brushing on glue (what does that even mean? what kind of glue do you brush on?) and glitter glue (again, no clue what that is!) but I just used the old cheapo regular orange glitter from JoAnn's and it worked fine. I adhered it with Elmer's "spray craft adhesive" that I had on hand from this quilting project, and it worked beautifully. Thinking back, though, I'm not sure how pricey that adhesive is, so you may be better off brushing on school glue if you try this (???).
I added some of our candleholders that we kept from our wedding reception,
threw down a burlap fabric as a table runner (frayed by yours truly), added some of the metallic
pumpkins I mentioned above, and called it good for the table.
________
And lastly, my favorite project, the boo pumpkins.
Again with the spray paint... this time white. Sharpied on a couple of letters, added some little vines
and the pumpkins were done. Chad suggested using this pumpkin that wouldn't stand up straight, and I absolutely
love the "whimsy" of it. I crooked-ed up our pictures (I told Chad the ghosts messed them up - I'm so my mother's daughter),
added a bat garland and called that, too, good.


I know four pictures is a lot for this little spot ("Eight is a lot of legs, David"), but I just love how
this area turned out. This week, I also finished my black and white pillow covers, so I threw
those over there as well since I liked how they looked with the black and white pumpkins.
Halloween better come quick before I go buy more pumpkins to spray paint.

I am not this creative. Inspired (copied?) from here and here.

3 comments:

Barbara Balagna said...

Alison - I'm in awe of your creative genius. How privileged I am to have such an amazing daughter-in-law. I simply love everything you do.

blackstarmonkey said...

oh my word, the ghost picture is my favorite
i want a skee-wompus boo punkin

Aika said...

I love love love the Halloween decorations in your house. You want to come do mine? It's pretty sad...

 
Clicky Web Analytics