12.06.2009

::at home:: lamp makeover

I mentioned our eight dollar floor lamps. They're gone!
I picked up two table lamps from TJ Maxx - I just loved the shape of the body. We had to make a few alterations to get them to usable, possibly more work than they were worth, but I am loving how they turned out. They originally came with bellshape shades. I wanted to find some smoother lines (easier to cover) that were a very specific size because of the dimensions of our shelf (too big and they wouldn't fit as close to the wall as they needed to be). The shades I found were beautiful, but not the right color, and a little short. I bought them anyway, and my lampshade project commenced!


The shades were meant for a smaller lamp than what I'd purchased, so they sat a little high on the lamp. That's where I enlisted Chad's help! He cut down the wires, did some heating, some twisting, and reattached to make it so that the shades would sit just right on the lamp. (Sorry no pics and no instructions - that's just a perk of being married to a guy like Chad!)
Since the shades already had color and a pattern on them, I covered them first with a muslin fabric just so it wouldn't show through the light colored material I'd chosen. Here's the step by step:
1. Since my shades are cone shaped, I rolled the fabric onto the shade to get an idea of the shape of the fabric and then cut out a very rough pattern. Once the piece was cut, I trimmed it down to about an inch and a half larger than the shade.
2. I used a hot glue gun to tack down one side of the fabric onto the lamp shade. I glued down about two inches, pressed it tight, then continued until I'd worked my way down the shade.
3. Next, I glued the other side of the fabric to itself to create a seam. This way, in case the lamp shade ever gets turned around, there's still a clean-looking line.

4. Then I rolled the fabric on! Smooth the fabric continually as you're rolling, and keep it pulled taut so that you won't end up with weird wrinkles... once you've gotten it all on, double check for any places that need to be smoothed, and then glue down the seam. Use the same two-inch-method so that your glue doesn't dry before you can get the fabric pressed down. (so sorry for an extremely crappy picture!)

5. Now for the edges. This is the easiest part. Pull the fabric taut, put a line of glue on the raw edge (again about two inches long) and press into the interior of the shade. Continue working your way around the shade until you've gotten all of the way around. Now flip your shade and do the other side. Tip: it's helpful to snip your fabric at the points where the wire meets the edge of the shade. That way you can glue on either side of the wire.
And voila! A new fabric shade! Has anyone else tackled a lampshade project? This was my first one, but now I'm thinking the possibilities are endless with all of the fabric out there! It would have been a difficult decision if I hadn't already had my eye on this print. Chad has already predicted multiple future re-coverings! (I don't think so, but the body may get a paint job in the near future?!?)

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics