3.13.2009

::postcard:: sending out ::eighty:: years worth of love...

to my Grandma Joyce.

Last weekend she had a BIG birthday, with a BIG party and over 70 of her 112 descendents in attendance. There were 80 wildflowers for her, 80 cupcakes, a wonderful dinner, lots of catching up with family (and gasps at how big some of them are. am i realy that old? at least i don't feel as old as the aunts and uncles?!? :) A lot of folks did a lot of planning to make her feel special. We all loved seeing some of her "Dutch" items that remind us of her, as well some of her projects that she's worked on through the years and are familiar objects in her home.

The original cast




The pictures don't do it justice, but it was a wonderful night. I'm so glad I was able to be there to celebrate with you, Grandma! Congratulations on another milestone...you're an amazing example of love and strength to everyone you come in contact and I'm proud to call you my Grandma. I love you!!!

(don't you love the refrigerator picture? i totally think she looks like she could be doing a commercial for her frigidaire! and no worries, i now have old scanned pictures of both my grammas, and my mom. there will definitely be more to come!)

8 comments:

Dave and Lindsey said...

I see a lot of you in your grandma (in the refrigerator picture). It looks like a fun celebration with family. I love the 80 cupcakes.

Janae said...

It was fun seeing you there. I LOVE the picture of Grandma with the fridge. I have never seen that picture before. Would you e-mail me a copy of it? We have a really fun one of her on a motorcycle. I'll send it to you if you don't have it.

Julia Jae said...

Oh Alison, thank you for this post! It will take my dad months to get around to sending me any of these pictures! I am so happy to see some of the things that were there since I couldn't be there. Grandma is amazing and so are you!!! :)

P.S. How is your reading going? Have you read any of David Sedaris? If not, highly recommend him!

Julia Jae said...

and did you notice how happy grandma looks in that most recent picture with the "original cast"?

Anonymous said...

V. here...
What wonderful pictures of a great evening. it was so wonderful to see Grandma J and honor her and her wonderful accomplishments. She is a wonderful example to us all and way full of life!!
V.

Anonymous said...

V. here...
Again!! The fridge photo ia a classic.
Everyone should be sure to take your own fridge today so it will be a classic when your 80!
L. V

Tiffany said...

I too was convinced the fridge photo was an ad-- I've never seen such a clear and beautiful photo taken so many years ago. It seems most people, if they had portraits taken at all, were more posed/uncomfortable and less cheerful. Beautiful grandma, adorable cupcake design, and it is CRAZY to think of having such a large posterity when I'm 80. Cuz I probably won't. Great post, Liso.

Brad said...

I do love your grandma by the refrigerator.
She also could have been a perfect mom and wife on a tv show.

 
Clicky Web Analytics