9.25.2008

::read:: confessions:: jane austen

i just finished reading jane austen's persuasion. and i cannot believe that i have never read any of her books before. don't get me wrong: i've started several. just never finished any. i've also watched many, many of the jane austen movies many, many times (with anjo-banjo as a roommate, it would have been impossible to get thru one year at the bd & a without them) but no book.
but now i see the error of my ways. i will read more jane austen. because she is so.good. so now i'm totally curious. they're supposed to be the epitome of girl-reads, but i don't really know anyone who reads her. so spit it out. if you are a girl and you are reading this blog, no matter who you are, tell me, how many jane austen novels have you read? any? none? all? working on them? recommendations?

6 comments:

Kyle and Tiff said...

I confess the same. I profess openly to be a great fan of Austen, yet I've only read Pride and Prejudice. I like the movies (and love BBC's P&P), but I can't seem to get through the other books. I love intelligent dialogue, but hers are a bit too verbose at times. I suspect that if I could focus and sit down and actually read another one, I'd love it, but it takes a great deal of concentration and a distraction-free environment that just doesn't exist in my world! Reading your post has inspired me to attempt it again, though.

Kelly said...

Not because I have any guts to spill, because I've actually read none, but I'm commenting just so you don't think you're being ignored. =)

blackstarmonkey said...

i read pride and prejudice and emma when i was a teenager, more just because i was trying to read the whole classics section of the library. i didn't really understand the beauty of the relationships she portrayed...let's be honest, my taste in guys then was--well, you remember Tory. anywho, i read persuasion much later...i liked it cause it was a quicker read, but still very satisfying. these days, i admit i am more about the austen movies. any and all of them.

Lisa said...

I think I've actually read three....Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, and Mansfield Park. I've heard Mansfield Park is her least popular, but I remember enjoying it. Hearing that you liked Persuasion makes me want to give her a try again. I think I quit reading her after being teased mercilessly by my husband. : )

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, yes, and yes. Persuasion was the first Jane Austen book I read, too. Today, I just finished reading Sense and Sensibility!! So great! Of course all the movies are great too!!
I love the heroines. However, now I am out of the girl range so I read with interest the actions of the Mothers. Their behavior is as varied as the young women. Long live the young and old Janites! V.

the Rew Crew said...

Confession: I've only read Pride and Prejudice, but I've read it about 15 times, so that counts for something.

 
Clicky Web Analytics