7.31.2008

::home:: our SWEET progress

As you may recall, we set out on July 1st to change our diet. We wanted to cut out sweet treats, since it had suddenly dawned on us that they'd slowly crept into our lives and made themselves quite at home, without our realizing it. We've already detailed the struggle, so now the success! We went for four weeks, 28 days! Now, before I mis-lead you too far. In week two, we each had a piece of cake at a co-worker's goodbye party and shared a small dippin' dots at the baseball game. In week three, we each had a snow cone.

Surprisingly, I don't feel healthier, I don't feel more energized, or refreshed, or anything that I thought I would. BUT I do feel more in control. I enjoy knowing that I make the rules, and don't give in to cravings or convenience. It has also made me sooo much more aware of what I eat. Cereal is just crap. I'm sorry to break it to you if you think you're eating healthy cereal, but it's true. Now before I get all "holier than thou", let me just say that I'm sure that sweets will creep back into my life again. I have no doubt. But I know I can take them right back out. And I feel good about that.

Things I missed the most: liquids. I don't drink soda very often at all, but I love a slushie, a snow cone, a freeze, a lemonade, a limeade, all of it. The other thing I miss is not being able to bake. Not so much so I can eat it, but just making it. Weird. I didn't realize I liked to bake so much. Hmm...

So are we just done now? No. We're off for one week. Just regular eating. Not indulging, just regular. Then we're going to try two weeks of NO SUGAR. The whole shebang. So who knows? Maybe I'll have withdrawals for that, too, but I kind of like it...I like the whole denying myself thing.

The picture is from a diet out there that actually exists. No sweets, no seconds, no snacks, except on days that start with "S". Not a bad idea. I don't necessarily agree with "NO SNACKS", but the rest of it...? I may have to put some thought into that...

6 comments:

The Ringer Family said...

I can't imagine...I'm gazing at my freshly made sugar cookies with frosting & Brendan's custom sprinkle job as I write this. (Is your mouth watering?) I think 1 week without chocolate was hard enough that I'm not even going to think about torturing myself further. You're brave, and my hero on this subject for that matter.

the Rew Crew said...

I'd die without cereal.

I have to say that I think that "S" diet sounds great. By that I mean it sounds easy.

I may just have to give it a go...right after I finish the peanut butter truffles I made this morning!

S said...

Alison, how do you have so many friends? I don't even know that many people.
Spencer

a. said...

...very funny, Spencer. I feel like you're mocking me. :)

Anonymous said...

yea, Sounds like you and Chad won! What a great battle. I did without sugar for a while. it really IS a battle. Now, mostly sugar wins, especially if its with chocolate!!
I didn't know til how much I loved chocolate til I did without sugar, so its the first sugarful thing I started eating again. I mean that Chocolate is the first sugarful thing that I started eating again. I am not a CHOCOLATE snob. My favorite is Brownies with nuts or mint icing and Hersheys CHOCOLATE bar. Yum Yum Yea! SUGAR & CHOCOLATE. love, vickie

Becca said...

Good job on the progress, that's great! I have to say that the no sugar thing is the hardest! I am now on day FIVE with no sugar &
WOW, the sugar headache SUCKS!!! I just got it today though, so the first four days weren't so bad! Good luck, I'll be watching to see how it goes!!!

 
Clicky Web Analytics