5.20.2008

Fuel from French Fries


Alison keeps setting me up to post things on here. Nice job, Hun. Anyway...I always have wierd ideas running through my head. I tend to latch on to and become passionate (some would call it obsessive) about them. I would argue that this is a good thing. It keeps me learning new things and trying new ideas. The downside is that poor Alison is forced to listen to these ideas over and over again.


So here is the latest. As most of you know, we commute to work about 80 miles round trip. Despite Alison's insistance that her Honda will last forever I am skeptical. I have been doing a little bit of research into converting a diesel truck into a vegetable oil truck. This pretty much involves pumping used oil from dumpsters into a filtration system in the garage, and then using it in place of diesel fuel. A conversion kit costs about $1000. Another $500 or so would be used for tanks, pumps, and filters bringing the grand total to about $1500. That being said, it would cost us about 45 cents per gallon to run the vehicle. The miles per gallon, power, and torque remain the same, the big difference is the sweet smell of french fries for those following to closely behind you. Whether or not this actually becomes a reality, only time will tell. With the high cost of diesel fuel, trucks are dirt cheap. (Alison likes cheap!)

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I love the first song that plays on your blog. We watched Juno last week and I really liked it--the music was cool in a the-singers-had-no-affect kind of way.

Ryan said...

Wow, you have a couple of Juno songs on here. "Anyone else but you" has to be my favorite thus far.

a. said...

oh, yes! we love the juno songs! ...and the carpenters album that they reference in the movie is AWESOME. of course, I am a die-hard Carpenter fan, so I may be biased...

Anna said...

chad, i think you and my hubbie will get along very well =)

 
Clicky Web Analytics